Our History

BEFORE WE CAN ESTABLISH A FUTURE

WE MUST UNDERSTAND OUR PAST.

God's Battalion of Prayer had its humble beginning on June 8, 1959 when five people met in the home of Rev. Alva Clarke. As they grew to 19 men and women, they moved to 791 Sterling Place. In this basement of a member's home the first public service of God's Battalion of Prayer Church was held. After a few short months, the church moved from Sterling Place to 1199 Dean Street. Those facilities also became too small and in 1960 its home was moved to Atlantic Avenue. In 1961 the church relocated to a four storied brownstone at 1323 Bedford Avenue; the home of Rev. Alva and Mother Clarke. It soon became obvious that even this new facility was inadequate to satisfy the spiritual needs of a growing church community. Consequently, a two story storefront at 628 Grand Avenue became the first permanent home of the church.

 

 


On August 27, 1962 the church was incorporated as God's Battalion of Prayer Church, Inc., this became its official name. It wasn't long before seating again became a problem for the growing church. The church moved from across town to its present location at 661 Linden Boulevard which had seating for 500 individuals. This location, in the center of Brooklyn, made it convenient to anywhere in the City of New York. The building was dedicated in March of 1975. However, the late Rev. Alva Clarke, founding father, was not privileged to minister at this new location; he was called to glory that same year. For the next three years, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Michael Bacchus, GBP remained steadfast in the work of the Lord. In October 1978, Rev. Dr. Alfred S. Cockfield, our current pastor, was called to ministry.